Saturday, February 20, 2010

Love my FRU!

My First Runner Up to Ms. Wheelchair California is seriously one of the best things that has happened since becoming Ms. Wheelchair California! Jennifer Kumiyama is the cream of the crop if you ask me, and I'm not sure how the judges decided I should win over her. In my opinion, we should have been able to crown TWO Ms. Wheelchair California's! Not only have I gained a wonderful partner in the organization, but I have gained a friendship which was totally unexpected and wonderfully loved! She is all that and a bag of chips! Ha!

Jennifer recently turned 30 years old! For her birthday, she decided that instead of receiving presents, she wanted people to donate the cost of one wheelchair through the organization I work for, Free Wheelchair Mission. Each wheelchair costs only $59.20, and she did a fabulous job at not only raising awareness for the need of wheelchairs, but also raising money towards a cause she is passionate about.

She had so many friends and family there to help set up the event/birthday party, and everyone was extremely interested in the material on each table.
Jennifer found many ways to raise money. One way was by having coffee can coin cans called "Change for Chairs" located at several locations for people at where she works, Disneyland, to contribute. She raised a lot of money that way!

But probably one of the most creative ways I've seen money raised was at the birthday party called the "Dollar Dance!" Anyone who wanted to have a dance with Jenn had to give her a dollar. As you can see, she ended up with more than just one dollar bills - and all for a great cause!

Jennifer, you are amazing, you are a fantastic advocate for people with disabilities, and I am honored to call you not only my First Runner Up this year, but also my lifetime friend. Thank you for all you do!

To check out all that she's done, click here to read her blog about her experiences as First Runner Up to Ms. Wheelchair California 2009!

1 comment:

  1. Aly-
    I love you so much! You're too sweet! Thank you for all of your support in EVERYTHING I do & for such a blessing of a friendship. I'm glad we're partners in crime. I couldn't have asked for a better sidekick!

    I love ya girly!!!
    -Kumi

    ReplyDelete