Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Hotel for Crowns!

I had the fun pleasure of visiting a beautiful national landmark in San Diego, CA, the "Hotel del Coronado". There is so much history to this hotel as it was originally built in the 1800's. It even has a resident ghost named Kate!

Kate Morgan checked into the hotel in 1892 - and never checked out. After spending 5 lonely and lovesick days waiting for a man who never arrived, Kate was found dead on an exterior staircase leading to the beach. Today, Kate's spirit seems to have remained at the Del, usually found wandering the gardens or in her former guestroom. She has also been spotted in the gift shop called "Established 1888." I was actually in that gift shop while I was visiting, and you best believe my eyes kept a close look out for a sighting!


Marilyn Monroe also filmed the movie, "Some Like It Hot" at this hotel, and you can find plenty of memorabilia throughout the hotel in tribute to her time here. The tree below was part of a scene in the movie and is a popular place for touristers to take pictures in front of.



As far as accessibility goes, I have to say that for a hotel that is over 100 years old, they have done a fantastic job at keeping the nostalgia of the decade it was built while also trying to make it ADA compliant. I had no trouble at all getting around!

The only odd thing I saw - that has nothing to do with accessibility - was in the accessible restroom. I find it rather odd that there is an ashtray in the restroom! I mean, really... REALLY? Um, ok. Anyway, I had to take a picture of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment