Monday, February 15, 2010

The Great Park - Orange County

There is a great landing strip in Orange County that used to be the El Toro Marine Base. It was built in 1942 and named after the small community near by named "El Toro" which at the time had 130 residents. It has a lot of history behind it, however it was decommissioned in 1999 and has now been voted to become a park similar to Central Park in New York. It instead is called "The Great Park." Though not yet completed, the first attraction built was the balloon ride that takes passengers 400 feet into the air.

Though the front doors to the ticket counter are a little heavy, the counter was completely accessible. After signing a liability agreement (and by the way, it's free to ride the balloon!), I made my way to the holding area where other passengers were also waiting.


It goes REALLY HIGH in the air!!

To get onto the balloon which has a doughnut shape base to it, they have a wheelchair accessible lift that you roll onto, and then the operator pumps it up so it's level to the base of the balloon. Simple and easy.



Once you're up to the top (not that far), you can easily roll right onto the base. I think it may be a little tight of a squeeze for a power wheelchair as I probably only had a few inches of wiggle room on either side, and my wheelchair is 26 inches wide total. Once on, I was unable to turn around, so I was basically stuck looking in the same direction on the same side. Otherwise, people have to climb over you or everyone has to move in a circle so you can go to the other side.


The pilot and I took a picture together! But wait, who's flying the balloon now?!
Overall, I had fun time on the ride and thing for free, you can't beat it! I can't wait to go back and ride it at night time so that I can see all the city lights! Great job, City of Irvine!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh, you are just so beautiful! Congratulations on your accomplishments and for raising awareness. So awesome. I'm the mama to 3 children. My Bugg - he's 3 and in a wheelchair - has a neurological condition that is undiagnosed. I'm grateful for your inspiration. Thank you so much!

    ~Bree~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! It is an amazing program and opportunity, and I hope to inspire and encourage not only woman, but all people with disabilities to keep going on with life. We all have a purpose. You just have to find out what yours is! Your son will find his, though I know it's hard to see right now. Praying for peace within your spirit that you will encourage him to climb the highest mountains all the time (figuratively of course)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Alyson

    ReplyDelete